Simply use a tie-shaped cookie cutter to cut your dough, then ice in his favourite colours. Make the icing to a fairly soft consistency, then pipe an outline around the cookie. Then flood the centre of the cookie with icing. Allow the icing to dry before piping on diagonal stripes, or your choice of pattern.
Use your favourite cookie recipe, or try our custard butter cookies, below.
Custard butter cookies
250g (9 oz) butter, softened
80g (3 oz) custard powder
250g (9 oz) plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
80g (3 oz) icing (confectioner’s) sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180deg C (350deg F) and grease or line two baking trays with baking paper.
2. Cream butter, custard powder and icing sugar.
3. Add flour and baking powder and mix to form soft dough.
4. Roll out gently on to a floured surface and use cookie cutter to cut out tie shapes. Place on baking tray.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they start to go slightly golden in colour. Remove from oven, leave for 2-3 minutes on tray, then transfer to a cooling rack.
6. Ice when cool.